Hi Cudas! I am Kara Gonzalez, and I am very proud to be part of Coral Reef’s Student Services Team as your Trust Counselor. You are welcome to find me any time in office 48, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call me at (305) 232-2044, extension 2548.
The Trust (To Reach Ultimate Success Together) Program is a comprehensive student assistance program designed to provide prevention, intervention, referral, and follow-up services to students and their families who may be experiencing mental health issues, substance abuse and other self-defeating behaviors.
As the Trust Specialist, I assist students with behavior, mental health and social issues that directly impact learning and development. The TRUST Program focuses on interpersonal relationships, social-emotional skills, school safety and substance abuse. These issues can interfere with the individual student’s success and well-being, as well as, directly impact the school environment and climate.
I am also Coral Reef’s Safe Network Liason. The SAFE Network, formerly the Sexual Minority Network, is a program under Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Division of Student Services, that educates and creates programs that support the healthy development of our GLBTQ youth.If you are interested in joining the Mental Health Awareness Club, or SWAT (Students Working Against Tobacco) contact me or check us out on Instagram. @reef.mhac and @reef.swat
305-232-2044 ext. 2548
Emergency crisis lines are available 24/7
- The primary contacts for youth and families are as follows:
- Crisis Text line: Text HOME to 741741
- Suicide Prevention Life Line: 1-800-273-TALK (free support line)
- Trevor Project: Crisis intervention and suicide prevention available 24/7; counselors are specially trained in the area of LGBTQ:
- Trevor Text line: Text START to 678678
- Trevor Life Line: 1-866-488-7386
If you feel your child may harm themselves or others, please call: 2-1-1 Helpline (24/7)
- Jewish Community Services South Florida
- The Children’s Trust
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Children’s Bereavement Center
- Kristi House Children’s Advocacy Center
- Thriving Mind of South Florida
- United Way Miami of Miami-Dade
- Teen Health & Wellness
- The award-winning Teen Health & Wellness provides middle and high school students with up-to-date, nonjudgmental, straightforward curricular, and self-help support. Articles are correlated to state, national, and provincial standards, including Common Core Health and Science. Topics covered include diseases, drugs, alcohol, nutrition, mental health, suicide, bullying, LGBTQ+ issues, and more.
- Mindfulness For Teens
- Being a teen can be really stressful! Mindfulness is a powerful way to handle stress, and live life more fully. Mindfulness is all about living fully in the present moment, without judgment, and with an attitude of kindness and curiosity. It’s about breathing, noticing what’s happening right here and now, sending a gentle smile to whatever you’re experiencing in this moment (whether it’s easy or difficult), and then letting it go. You can be mindful anytime, anywhere, no matter what you’re doing. It sounds simple, but it’s not always easy to do, especially when you are stressed! This website provides information, tools, and resources to help you get started.