The Coral Reef Athletics Department adheres to the belief that athletics is an integral part of the educational framework of the institution and the program exists to support and compliment the mission and goals of the School. The mission of the CRHS Athletics Department is to initiate, stimulate and continually improve the athletic and recreation programs for students by:
- promoting academic excellence and educational leadership,
- striving to obtain athletic distinctions,
- assuring gender equity and cultivating diversity,
- fostering and promoting personal integrity among its participants,
- encouraging activities and experiences which instill the value of lifelong participation and total well-being,
- providing an avenue for the social development of the student through participatory interaction within and outside athletic and campus community.
Welcome to Athletics
Updated September 2nd, 2021
- Coral Reef Tickets are ONLY sold through GoFAN this year. Here is Coral Reef’s GoFAN page.
How to purchase and use your GoFAN tickets
- Students you need to check your Coral Reef Gmail regularly for the most up to date information.
- Please email the coach of the sport you are interested in, so that you can be made aware of things you can do on your own to help prepare for tryouts. Coaches/Teams Directory
- Check Twitter @reefathletics1 or Instagram @coralreefathletics for schedule when office will be open. You can also check the calendar on the Coral Reef Athletics/Master Calendar.
Director of Athletics
Mr. Kevin Whelan
305-232-2044 ext 2107
Kevin Whelan was a wrestler at Christopher Columbus in high school and at Georgia Tech during college.
Mr. Whelan began his coaching career as an assistant wrestling coach at Christopher Columbus, in his third year he helped coach Christopher Columbus’ first Region Champion, State Placer in over five years. In 2002, Mr. Whelan joined the staff at South Dade as an assistant wrestling coach. Over his five years at South Dade he helped the wrestling team to one State Championship and four State Runner Up finishes. He also was an assistant coach for the golf team and head wrestling coach at Homestead Middle School.
In 2007, Mr. Whelan became the Director of Athletics at G. Holmes Braddock. In his six years at Braddock District Championships were won by the football, baseball and softball teams. Individual Wrestlers won State Championships, Cross Country runners, Golfers and Wrestlers won GMAC Championships.
Mr. Whelan returned to coaching when he joined Ronald Reagan in 2013. In his time at Ronald Reagan he coached golf, wrestling and tennis. During his tenure he was able to lead the first ever State Qualifiers from Ronald Reagan in wrestling, including one who not only qualified by placed in the top 6.
Mr. Whelan became the Business Manager at Coral Reef in 2017 and the Director of Athletics in 2018.
Athletics Office Staff
Ms. Erin Shelow
Assistant Athletic Director
305-232-2044 ext 2148
- STATE CHAMPIONS
- Boys Bowling 2001
- Boys Bowling 2002
- Boys Basketball 2009
- Girls Softball 2013
- STATE RUNNER UP
- Girls Track 2000
- Boys Soccer 2002
- Boys Cross Country 2013
- Boys Cross Country 2014
- Boys Cross Country 2015
- Girls Softball 2015
- Boys Baseball 2019
- STATE FINAL 4
- Girls Volleyball 2012
- Boys Volleyball 2013
- Girls Softball 2014
- Girls Softball 2018