The International Baccalaureate Programme is a rigorous pre-university course of studies, leading to examinations in the junior and seniors years. As a member of the Geneva-based International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), Coral Reef, along with 2,795 schools offering the DP in 143 different countries worldwide, offers motivated students an opportunity to excel. The full diploma requires advanced international examinations in 6 subject areas plus the Theory of Knowledge course, and Extended Essay, and 150 hours of community service activities in the CAS program (Creativity, Action, Service).
Those who achieve in the IB Diploma gain admission to selective universities throughout the world, with some universities offering advanced standing or course credit to students with strong IB examination results. Beyond intellectual rigor and high academic standards, strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship, to the end that IB students may become critical and compassionate participants in local and world affairs.
- In the 30 years since its founding, the IB Diploma has become a symbol of academic integrity and intellectual promise.
- In Florida an IB Diploma automatically qualifies a student for Florida Bright Futures Scholarships at Florida Public universities, and students may be granted up to one year in university credits.
- Coral Reef High School IB graduates have been accepted to prestigious universities throughout the world. Some of the schools that our graduates have been accepted to include Harvard, Yale, MIT, NYU, Princeton, Columbia, Rensselaer, Cornell, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, Brown, Georgetown, Annapolis Naval Academy, West Point, Duke, Tulane, Emory, William College, the University of St. Louis in Madrid, Richmond University of London, the University of Miami, FSU, UF, UCF, USF, FIU, and New College.
- Coral Reef High School was authorized to offer the full International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme to its first graduating class of 2000. Between 2000-2016, 1,985 out of 2261, IB Diploma Candidates who sat for exams at Coral Reef High School have earned their IB Diploma.
The IB Diploma Programme is designed for students seeking a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum. Minimum guidelines for acceptance include:
- Completion of Magnet application.
- Completion of Algebra 1 Honors and Physical Science Honors by the end of the current academic year.
- Strong Academic Record, motivation and personal commitment to the full Diploma Programme.
The CAS Requirement takes seriously the importance of the life outside the world of scholarship. Participation in theater productions, sports, and community service activities encourages young people to share their energies and special talents with others.
** International Baccalaureate Diploma students must complete 150 hours of Creativity, Action, and Service, and a 4,000 word Extended Essay, all internal assessments, and sit for six IB examinations – 3SL and 3HL (or 2SL and 4 HL).